Difficult to say but winning the schools inter-provincial at 800, 1500 and 5000m all on the one day was a good days work. Holding the Northern Ireland records at 800, 1500, 1 mile, 2 miles, 2000m, 3000m and 3000sc at the one time was pleasing. Finishing 3rd at the Mallusk international cross country behind S.Ovett. Finishing 2nd to Dave Moorcroft at Gateshead short course cross-country ahead of some of the best middle distance runners around at the time including John Walker and Ivo van Damme his last ever race, he was killed in a road accident shortly after.
1. 1st AAA Junior 1500
2. Finalist in European Juniors
3. 1st British Universities 1500
4. 7th World Student final 1500
5. NIAAA Champion at 800, 1500, 5000
6. 2nd UK 1500 (1st S.Ovett)
7. Winner of the NIAAA Boys, Youths, Junior x2 and Senior x2 Cross Country Championships
8. Former European junior record holder at 2000
9. Scottish AAA champion 800
I was please to be around in what I consider to be the golden age of athletics.